Distance learning to study Toeic 2020 (เรียน โท อิ ค 2020 which is the term in Thai) faces significant challenges to gain space in primary education. Although it has good results when applied to adults, the profile of children requires more dedicated monitoring and teacher intervention.
We listed 12 disadvantages that distance learning presents in comparison to face-to-face teaching.
- Parental supervision – For younger children, there is a need for monitoring by parents or guardians, who need to be at home during class.
- Attention Demand – Some students have learning difficulties and demand more attention, which can be challenging through a screen. In this case, proposals for pedagogical intervention may be necessary.
- Too many screens – Screen light can damage the eyes, so it’s essential that remote activities also take place offline.
- Private tutoring cost – Especially when there is more than one child at home or when parents need to go out to work, distance learning may require hiring private tutors.
- Impaired sociability – The social interaction that comes with face-to-face school is reduced. It is essential to find other social activities for students, such as sports, art, music, etc.
- Community interaction – Without face-to-face meetings, the sense of community is shaken, which impacts the social formation of students.
- Activity Structure – Not all students have access to the same materials at home, and some activities require a hands-on, interactive approach to learning.
- Internet access – Digital inclusion is a challenge in Brazil. In this sense, public policies that make technology accessible are great allies of education.
- Mobility Challenges – Need to stay in one place for long periods during synchronous classes.
- Motivation to Watch Class – Without proper supervision, less motivated students can leave class online and engage in other activities such as watching YouTube videos, playing video games, chatting with friends.
- Space and silence – Students may not have adequate space to study at home, quiet and calm to concentrate on tasks.
- Food and physical security – For children in vulnerable situations, school is the safest place. They may be in abusive homes, or they may need lunch to eat correctly.